Sending a child to elementary school or heading to college yourself? Back to school is an exciting time of year, but expenses can quickly add up. Be shopping savvy with these tips and take control of your finances with the help of Metro Credit Union’s Mobile Banking Services.
Take Time to Plan
- Create and look at your budget by using the Metro Credit Union Money Desktop free online budgeting tool.
- Gather any back-to-school supply lists from the schools and look through the calendar to try to predict the cost and items needed for upcoming school activities.
- Focus on saving on the big-ticket items (computers, calculators, cell phones, back packs) with coupons, incentive programs, rebates and weekly specials, online-only deals.
- Shop at discount or competitively-priced stores – believe it or not, you will actually get more for your money.
- If your state has Tax-Free Days, plan to do your back to school shopping around that time.
You know the spot during online checkout that asks if you have a coupon code? It’s time to stop ignoring it! One quick Google search for coupons online will demonstrate how easily accessible they really are for most retailers. Before you buy, you can check for coupons and coupon codes on apps like Ibotta and RetailMeNot. Also, follow your favorite stores on social media like Facebook and Twitter to find coupons.
Before purchasing a high ticket item, remember that it’s going to get a lot of wear and tear throughout the next year (or, perhaps, the next four plus years). Since it’s not going to last the test of time, why not try to get it for free? There’s nothing wrong with being thrifty and getting some used items from the following places:
- Consignment stores
- Ebay Classifieds
Remember to never meet with someone offering to give or sell an item by yourself. Always arrange to meet in a public place and make sure to take a parent with you to ensure your safety.
Let Metro Credit Union help you feel confident about your finances so that you can concentrate on helping your children with their homework or aiming for your own degree. As always, feel free to contact Metro Credit Union’s Member Services Toll-Free at 800-301-8549 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Have an A+ school year!